Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Fabulous Chicken Chowder. A little time consuming, but well worth it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated & peeled
- 1 lime, zest of, finely grated
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 chopped jalapenos, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups potatoes, diced peeled
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, skinned, cut into 1-inch chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In large, deep saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and saute', stirring until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, lime or lemon zest and paprika and saute' for 2 minutes. Then add the celery, tomatoes and jalapenos and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are about half cooked - 10-12 minutes.
- Add the corn and lima beans, Half and Half and simmer uncovered, until just cooked, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the cilantro.