Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have had this recipe for years on a little slip of paper. I am now putting it here for safe keeping. It came from a Family Circle magazine from 1989. This how we like our chow mein, it's easy and quick to make!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breats cut into strips across the grain
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 large onion, silvered lengthwise
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, diced fine
- 1 lb fresh bean sprouts, rinsed drained and patted dry
- Stir together cornstarch,chicken broth and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 tbls oil in wok or dutch oven over high heat. When very hot add chicken, stir fry 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to plate.
- Heat remaing oil in wok. Add cabbage, celery and onion, Stir fry 1 minute until barely cooked. Add water chesnuts,mushrooms and garlic; stir fry 1 to 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts stir fry 30 secons. Remove vegatbles to plate with chicken.
- Stir sauce add to wok all at once. Cook, stirring constanly until sauce thickens and boils. Return chicken and vegtables to wok;toss until heated through. Turn into serving bowl.