Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another use for leftover chicken. Recipe source: local newspaper
Make and share this Chicken Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup leek, chopped (or use chopped onions)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb turkey sausage, ground
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2⁄3 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapeno peppers
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 -8 cups kale, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded, optional garnish
- chopped green onion, optional garnish
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Stir in leeks and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, cumin seed and sausage, cooking until sausage browns.
- Stir in chicken, beans barley, jalapeno, broth and kale and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Serve topped with cheese, green onions and sour cream if desired.
I used onions in place of the leeks, no cumin seed (only have ground), kidney beans instead of garbanzo beans and much less broth as we like our chilis thick. Otherwise followed the recipe topped with cheese. DD said it was fantastique! I have to agree :)