Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in an old copy of Consuming Passions I bought in a thrift shop. I don’t plan to keep the book, so am storing this recipe here so I can make it soon.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 kg skinless chicken thigh
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced mild onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemons or 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, seasoning to taste: chill.
- In a frying pan, gently fry onion and garlic in a little of the oil for 4 to 5 minutes. Do not allow the garlic to burn.
- When the onion is translucent, add all the spices and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over a medium heat. Stir constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the lemon rind and fresh herbs and allow to cool.
- Stir in the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 3 hours (over night if possible).
- Cook chicken in a non stick frying pan or on the BBQ (grill).