Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been my daughter's favourite supper since she was three years old. I serve it over plain white rice, and it's very tasty.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup shortening (or you can use olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion rings
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, melt shortening (or use olive oil), over medium heat.
- Coat chicken with flour.
- Cook chicken in hot shortening (oil) over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until brown.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion rings, green pepper and garlic to skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until onion and pepper are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Add chicken, cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until the thickest pieces are tender.
- (4 servings).
A delicious easy to prepare cacciatore. I did not add green peppers as my family does not like them. I sauteed the chicken in olive oil, loved the flavours in this dish.
This made a quick and delicious dinner for us. Thank you very much for sharing your recipe.