Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mother-in-law's recipe (although it was passed to her by other family members). She uses an electric skillet, but I just use a deep skillet on the stove. I love this recipe because it is easy enough for a weeknight meal, but also nice enough to serve guests.
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups peeled crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup white wine (substitute apple juice or chicken stock, if you prefer)
- 340 g pasta (I prefer whole wheat linguine)
- Saute chicken and onion in oil, browning all sides.
- Remove from pan and drain fat.
- Add tomatoes and sauce to pan and stir in salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and hot pepper.
- Add up to 1/4 cup of water (if necessary) to thin sauce.
- Return chicken and onions to pan.
- Cover and simmer on low to medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Uncover chicken and stir in white wine. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and stir the sauce into the cooked pasta.
This is a wonderful and very easy dish to prepare. My mother does not like spaghetti noodles so I used Rigatoni noodles and it worked just as well.