Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
This casserole smells wonderful whilst baking! I serve it with lots of creamy mashed potatoes.
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut into eighths
- 1 cabbage, cut into wedges (red or white)
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 -8 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 6 -8 fragrant bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon mild apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash chicken and pat dry, using paper towels.
- Blend spices, salt and ginger together.
- Peel back skin of drumsticks, pat flesh with spice mixture and replace skin.
- Line casserole dish with potatoes, then cover with drumsticks.
- Intersperse with rows of cabbage, apples, onions and carrots.
- Sprinkle extra spices and bay leaves over, tuck cinnamon chards in between vegetables and sprinkle with vinegar, orange juice and olive oil.
- Cover tightly and braise at 160°C for 1 hour.
- Remove lid or aluminum foil and continue braising until golden brown.
Sorry, but can only rate this as OK. It was too heavily spiced for our palate. I think it was the cinnamon. The mashed potato went really well with it and it certainly smelt A1 when cooking.