Recipe by little_wing
This juicy patty tastes like a ballpark sausage. Slightly modified from Rachel Ray.
Top Review by bricookie55
We really enjoyed this! The burger itself came out just perfect; juicy, flavorful, and toasting the fennel seeds before adding them really gave it a little something extra. The barbecue onion sauce, however, didn't quite turn out the way we expected it to. It tasted great, but it was still pretty thin by the time we topped the burgers. Given the time indicated in the recipe, it didn't thicken, but maybe if we had left it on the stove longer it would have. In any case, a good burger!
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 2⁄3 cup romano cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 orange, juice and rind of (peel grated)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 2 cups salad greens
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to med-high.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken,cheese, garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds, red pepper, allspice, orange peel,and 1/4 tsp salt. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Form mixture into 4 patties, pressing your thumb into the center of each to keep it from bulging as it cooks. Set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat 2 tbs of olive oil.
- Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 3-4 minutes.
- Add onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally,until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and stir in vinegar,honey, Worcestershire sauce, and orange juice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-7 minutes.
- Add a little water if sauce begins to dry out.
- Drizzle patties liberally with olive oil.
- Grill until firm to the touch but still juicy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Toast rolls on the grill and drizzle with olive oil.
- Pile salad greens on bottoms of rolls.
- Top greens with chicken patty and onion sauce and top of roll.