Recipe by English_Rose
This savoury version of a bread and butter pudding with chicken and mushrooms makes a satisfying midweek family supper. For a different flavour, try using an alternative cheese, such as Gorgonzola or a sharp Cheddar. Make this dish vegetarian by substituting the chicken with vegetables such as peppers or zucchini, and using a vegetarian cheese.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 7 ounces white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1in cubes
- 3 1⁄2 ounces gruyere, grated
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1in cubes
- 9 ounces portabellini mushrooms, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 1 quart baking dish.
- Using a fork, lightly beat the eggs and milk together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the bread cubes, 2 1/2oz of the cheese, the parsley and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken for 4-5 minutes, then remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, until just starting to soften. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Stir the chicken and mushrooms into the egg and bread mixture, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes until risen and golden and the chicken is thoroughly cooked, with no pink meat.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes, before serving with some cooked carrots and steamed green beans.