Recipe by icetea
I saw this recipe on the Food Network show Weighing In (Juan-Carlos Cruz) and it looked delish.
Top Review by Mia Bella
I've been trying out alot of recipes from Juan-Carlos Cruz this week and this one is tops! So full of flavor. It almost taste like Gumbo. I also browned the sausage in a nonstick skillet. I have to say that a nonstick skillet also makes all the difference. It really browns the chicken nicely after which you can scrape the bottom so the seasoned pan mixes with the chicken broth. Highly recommend this. I wouldn't want Juan-Carlos to hear this, but it would be great to sop of the juice with French Bread!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium spicy turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water or 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss chicken with oregano, pepper, paprika, salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until evenly coated.
- Brown chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil a large non-stick pot. Add Canadian bacon and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion and pepper are tender.
- Add tomato, browned chicken, and sausage. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add olives, capers, rice, and water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add frozen peas and simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste for seasoning and serve.