Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 (6 1/4 ounce) packagesfast-cooking long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) containers sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Prepare rice mixes according to package directions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add onion, celery, and water chestnuts.
- Saute 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in rice, chicken, 3 cups cheese, and next 5 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15x10 inch baking dish.
- Top casserole with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese; bake 5 more minutes.
Absolutely delicious! Served to company and everyone loved it. Used 1/2 & 1/2 for the milk. My skillets weren't large enough to mix everything together, so just sautéed the onion, celery and water chestnuts ( and some sliced mushrooms) and then put with the cooked rice, soups sour cream and chicken and mixed together in a large bowl.<br/><br/>I put the casserole together the night before and needed to bake longer to heat through because of being cold. For the topping, added the cheese first and then crumbs as like to dot the crumbs with butter and just bake on the casserole right from the start.<br/><br/>Thank you, "ratherbeswimmin" for this wonderful recipe.
This was yummy even my kids liked it.
I made this for dinner last night. I halved the recipe, otherwise followed it exactly. Excellent -- I had to keep reminding dh to slow down as there was still dessert. Just a great combo of ingredients. Thanks for posting.