1/1 Photo of Chicken and Turnip Soup
ana c.'s Note:
This is a wonderful soup and great comfort food on a cold night. It's just the thing for a cold too! Here in Portugal we really like our chicken soup with rice ("canja") but this is a very tasty and colorful variation I often enjoy. The quantities are all aproximations: add or reduce to your liking. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the potatoes, onions, chicken, carrots and turnip roots in a 5L (about a 6 quarts) pot. Add enough water to generously cover the ingredients (by about 3 inches). Add a pinch of salt.
- 2Bring to boil over medium-high heat. When the water starts boiling lower heat to a simmer. Let it do that, uncovered, until meat and potatoes are almost done (about 20 minutes). Add pasta and turnip leaves. Allow pasta to cook al dente. Correct salt to taste and it's done!
- 3To serve: Remove chicken and shred desired/needed amount. Place the rest of the chicken back in the pot (since I'm very lazy I usually just grab the piece of chicken I want with a pair of tongs or a fork and shred it in the bowl using my fork and spoon); Ladle soup into a (big) bowl. Garnish with a splash of red wine vinegar or a good squeeze of lemon. Add pepper and/or tabasco, if desired.
- 4Note: I'm still a student so I never use stock (bescause I've never made any and I've never seen those practical little xartons of ready made made stuff), which is why I cook the chicken with the bones and neck and all, but if you have homemade chicken stock use it and just add the parts of the bird you like (breast, thigh) cut into bite size pieces; I'm sure it will be just as good, if not better! :).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Turnip Soup
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.8
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 191.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: