Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful soup and great comfort food on a cold night. It's just the thing for a cold too! Here in Portugal we really like our chicken soup with rice ("canja") but this is a very tasty and colorful variation I often enjoy. The quantities are all aproximations: add or reduce to your liking. :)
- 1 whole chicken, quartered (with our without giblets)
- 3 big potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 turnips, chopped
- 1 bunch turnip greens, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (optional)
- 20 g stellini pasta (or similar) (optional)
- 1 lemon
- red wine vinegar
- Place the potatoes, onions, chicken, carrots and turnip roots in a 5L (about a 6 quarts) pot. Add enough water to generously cover the ingredients (by about 3 inches). Add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat. When the water starts boiling lower heat to a simmer. Let it do that, uncovered, until meat and potatoes are almost done (about 20 minutes). Add pasta and turnip leaves. Allow pasta to cook al dente. Correct salt to taste and it's done!
- To serve: Remove chicken and shred desired/needed amount. Place the rest of the chicken back in the pot (since I'm very lazy I usually just grab the piece of chicken I want with a pair of tongs or a fork and shred it in the bowl using my fork and spoon); Ladle soup into a (big) bowl. Garnish with a splash of red wine vinegar or a good squeeze of lemon. Add pepper and/or tabasco, if desired.
- Note: I'm still a student so I never use stock (bescause I've never made any and I've never seen those practical little xartons of ready made made stuff), which is why I cook the chicken with the bones and neck and all, but if you have homemade chicken stock use it and just add the parts of the bird you like (breast, thigh) cut into bite size pieces; I'm sure it will be just as good, if not better! :).
I made this last night and it was really delicious. I did not realize it until after I was well into the recipe but I did not have either a lemon or red wine vinegar, so I used a splash of lime juice. Also I cheated and used chicken buillon cubes and chicken breast instead of a whole chicken. But the combination of chicken, potatoes, turnips and turnip greens was wonderful. Thank you Ana for a lovely soup.
Excellent soup with turnips fresh from the garden. Love the combination of carrots, potatoes, onions, turnip greens, and turnip root! Tasty in a very healthy way, and we actually had it during a cold spell here in Florida. I did use chicken breasts and packaged chicken broth. I'll bet it would be even better with a fresh, whole chicken, and its broth.
I suspect the freshness of the ingredients might make a difference... I used chicken breasts, canned turnip greens (no turnips), and whole small red potatoes. No stock, but chicken bouillion cubes. In a crockpot all day, which smelled good but didn't do anything for the chicken breasts. I also left out the pasta, which in retrospect might have absorbed some of the water. What I ended up with was a thin broth with potatoes and green stuff.