Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Source: Super Food Ideas - November 2006, Page 70 Recipe by Kirrily La Rosa
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 red onions, large, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, halved crossways
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 6 sprig lemon thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 29.58 ml mustard, wholegrain
- 400 g sweet potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml thickened cream
- Caramelised onions: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until soft. Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add fennel, thyme and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine and mustard. Cook for 3 minutes. Add sweet potato and stock. Bring to the boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cream. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes (do not return to the boil as sauce might spit). Stir in caramelised onions. Serve.
- To freeze: Allow to cool for 1 hour. Spoon into a 4 cup-capacity airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 15 to 18 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until heated through.
My DH and I had a blast making this dish together. We loved the flavors of this recipe. Looking forward to having this dish for left over tomorrow night.