Recipe by brenda hardesty
It is a good cold-time recipe and it is a one-pot recipe ya could do in crock pot.
Top Review by RaginCajun
Great recipe, I'm from Louisiana so I added a few traditional steps. I used a chicken andouille sausage. I blackened the chicken with creole spices in a very hot skillet before combining it with the vegetables (get a fan), then used the stuff left behind from the blackening for making a very flavorful roux using rendered bacon fat instead of oil. Not a healthy mod for the recipe but, ooh yeah. I also added about 7 or 8 bay leaves during cooking and a little Tony Chachere's seasoning. Laissez Bon Temps Roulez!!
- 1 lb chicken (boneless)
- 1 link sausage (I like jalapeno sausage)
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup instant rice
- 2 -3 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, rice, red and black pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
- In med skillet put enough oil to cover bottom and add flour till thick on low heat so as not to burn, till it thickens.
- Cook chicken and ingredients till done add roux (flour mix) till desired thickness.