Recipe by C & D's Mommy
A one pot dinner, chicken, potatoes and carrots. Comfort food that's great for a cold winter's evening. Serve with a side salad and a thick slice of crusty bread. Makes good leftovers too. I don't cook with any added salt, and I found the gravy powder was salty enough for us, but if you like, you can add salt to your own liking. You can also substitute sweet potatoes in place of the white ones for added nutrition.
- 2 tablespoons margarine (can substitute for olive oil if you wish)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (I used 8 thighs this time)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (I used Bisto chicken gravy powder)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (can use 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, cut into thin rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 4 potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces (you can peel if you wish)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sour cream (I use fat free)
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat, just for the extra goodness)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine over medium heat in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook for about 15 minutes until browned, turning occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, gravy powder, and pepper. (If using garlic powder instead of fresh, add this too.).
- Sprinkle over chicken pieces . Add garlic and onions. Pour apple juice into skillet.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots, and continue cooking, covered for another 30-35 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, flour and chives. Stir into skillet, coating all the chicken and vegetables. Heat sauce until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.