Recipe by Dancer^
A puree of roasted red pepper and walnuts adds flavors to this fine sandwich. If you're short on time, substitute 1/2 cup bottled roasted red peppers for freshly roasted ones.
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted and seeded (capsicum)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed, brushed clean and halved
- 1 whole-grain baguette, cut crosswise into 4 sections, each about 6 inches long
- 4 butter lettuce leaves (Boston)
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the roasted bell pepper coarsely.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted pepper, shallot, walnuts, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, the mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Pulse a few times to puree and set aside.
- In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides and no longer pink on the inside (170 F if using a food thermometer), 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
- Thinly slice the chicken lengthwise into strips.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute, turning frequently, until well browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar.
- Using a serrated knife, split the baguette sections in half lengthwise.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon red pepper mixture on both halves of each baguette section.
- To assemble a sandwich, place 1 mushroom half on the bottom half of a baguette section.
- Top with 1/4 of the chicken, a lettuce leaf, and 1 or 2 tomato slices.
- Close the sandwich with the top half of the baguette section, and slice in half.
- Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches, and then serve.
- If making ahead, omit the red pepper mixture, wrap the sandwiches in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Spread the red pepper mixture on the baguettes just before serving.