Recipe by Aroostook
Comfort food for a cold weather supper. This dumpling recipe is the best I have found.
Top Review by bratty
Okay...this recipe has my name on it, so I had to review it right? But it doesn't need my endorsement! I'll admit, I've never had dumplings with onions, carrots, or potatoes in them. And I've always had them with the dough rolled into strips and cut. But this was great!We both loved it! It had great flavor, and was just right in consistancy, of dumplings, veggies, and "broth/gravy". Great for a filling dinner when you don't want to work too hard. Thanks for the "heads up" on this dumpling recipe Barbara, I'll definately be making it again.
- 1 small chicken, cut up (or 2 lbs of skinless chicken pieces)
- 2 medium onions, halved
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk (approx)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces in a soup pot with just enough cold water to cover.
- Add onions and salt/pepper.
- Cover and simmer for one hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add dumplings and cook for another 1/2 hour following the directions below.
- Dumplings: Mix dry ingredients together to form a stiff dough.
- When soup/stew is nearly done, drop by small spoonsful into soup.
- (Be sure to dip spoon in hot liquid each time).
- Cook slowly uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Cook covered 15 minutes more.