Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
from "The Best Freezer Cookbook"
- 340.19 g penne pasta
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g skinless chicken breast half, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 946.36 ml small broccoli florets
- 177.44 ml prepared basil pesto
- 78.07 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the penne in a large pot of water for 8-10 minutes until tender but firm.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and pepper strips and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Place the broccoli florets in a colander and drain the pasta over it. Place the pasta and broccoli back into the large pot.
- Add the chicken mixture, pesto and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- To freeze:.
- Cool. Spoon into freezer containers, seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve:.
- Thaw in micro or fridge. Bake in baking dish at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional freshly grated parmesan before serving.
- Note: I usually undercook my pasta slightly if I am freezing it. It finishes cooking when the dish is reheated.
we added cream sauce to the pesto and left out the peppers--it was good--we froze it for our dinner coop, and everyone seemed to like it--could have used more sauce for our tastes so next time we will add more!
This was fantastic!! My fiance said probably the best pasta dish I've made in a long time. It was so flavorful, but so simple too. I seasoned my chicken with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powders. The veggies are great in this, and I may add an onion next time. I didn't really measure the pesto, just used enough to coat the pasta to our taste.
I made this before my baby was born and froze it in 2 batches. I did not cook the broccoli at all, just mixed it in while still frozen. I was impatient when it came time to eat it and just cooked it in the microwave on a "casserole" setting. It was still fabulous. I used a Knorr packet to make the pesto - I think it would be even better with higher quality pesto.