Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Awesome chicken and apple salad from Good Housekeeping's Illustrated Kids Cookbook
- 1⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (regular or low-fat or fat-free)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large celery ribs (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large carrot (about 3 ounces)
- 1 red apple (McIntosh or Red Delicious, about 6 ounces)
- 2 slices jarlsberg cheese or 2 slices swiss cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- Combine the mayonnaise and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add the mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture until it is well combined. Set yogurt dressing aside.
- With a paring knife, cut off and discard the ends of the celery. Dice each celery stalk into 1/4-inch pieces. Put the pieces in the mixing bowl.
- Peel the carrot and cut off the ends. Cut the carrot in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Put the slices in the mixing bowl.
- Cut the apple in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and core. Cut each half into 1/4-inch slices. Put the slices in the mixing bowl.
- Cut the slices of cheese crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Separate the strips and put them in the mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and walnuts. Stir the mixture until it is well combined.