Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Supposedly this is the same as Chi Chi's "Cancun"
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces crab, chopped (real or imitation)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas, 5-6 inch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash pepper
- In mixing bowl, stir together soup, onion, nutmeg and black pepper.
- In another bowl, place half of the soup mixture, crab and 1 cup of the jack cheese; set aside.
- Wrap the tortillas in paper towels, microwave on 100 percent power for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Place 1/3 cup mixture on each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in greased 12 X 7-1/2 dish.
- Stir milk into the reserved soup mixture, pour over enchiladas.
- Microwave, covered, on high for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add a dash of hot pepper sauce to soup mix if desired.
I worked at Chi-Chi's for 16 years. Crab was the imitation sticks that you see in the store. White sauce came in a dry packet that we added lobster base to along with cooking sherrie and water. Mixed the sauce with the crab and monterey jack prior to rolling enchiladas. Covered with sauce and a sprinkling of more jack cheese. When they came out of the oven we would top with paprika. Hope this helps. KJQ
I been making a recipe that I invented similar to this for years,missing chi-chis cancun,when they closed.But, I saute the onion in butter,then add shrimp and crab.I also, use cream of shrimp soup instead of chicken.But, I add 2/3 cup of sour cream,1tsp of sugar,and a splash of milk.When the soup mixture is mixed,then add alittle to the shrimp/crab mixture,and the rest to pour over top.Also,use Muenster cheese more gooyee!!
I almost gave this recipe 5 stars, but because of one change that I made that I think improved the taste, I had to down grade to 4 stars. If you can find cream of shrimp soup, it makes a much better dish. I actually had to order mine off of Amazon.com because my grocery store stopped carrying it. I love it in other dishes too so it was no problem buying 6 cans. Anyway this is very quick and easy with good results.