Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A special dish, not for those seeking a healthier diet choice but for those occasions when something special is demanded. From the French Resturant known as Chez Ferdinand in the 50s and 60s. Note that time is very much a guess here and you need to watch the food and judge for yourself. I never bothered to check the clock when I made it. Use the freshest ingredients and also make your own croutons.
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 slice lean bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots or 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup good white wine
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup of bread crouton
- salt and pepper
- Cut the mushrooms in half and cook in a casserole with tiny bacon pieces, butter, scallions and the parsley until lightly browned.
- Powder with flour from the sifter. Dampen with the wine and broth and simmer until the broth has thickened slightly.
- Season to taste. Serve with the croutons and lemon slices.
- Note: the bread croutons are best if you use French Bread and 'fry' in a bit of butter. Don't use the packaged stuff.