1 hr 5 mins
From Cook's Illustrated published May 2000. This recipe makes a heck of a good brownie! These are very rich and decadent, it is best to cut them in small, 1 inch squares.
My Private Note
1 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into quarters (1 stick)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350°F Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- 2Fold two 12-inch pieces of foil lengthwise so that they measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies. Following illustration 1 below, fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 4Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour with wooden spoon until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 5Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles (see illustration 2, below).
- 6Cut into 1-inch squares and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chewy, Fudgy Triple Chocolate Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.3
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 59.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g