Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
A low-rise dense, yeasty and different banana bread. Makes the best stuffed French Toast; see photo. From William Sonoma's The Bread Machine Cookbook with an addition of raisins.
- Place all ingredients except raisins in bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Place raisins in dispenser, if available, or set for fruits/nuts.
- Use sweet bread and medium crust settings.
- To make Banana Bread Stuffed French Toast:.
- Slice bread in very thick slices.
- Cut pocket in slices.
- Mix cream cheese and a little milk to make spread. Add a dash of vanilla.
- Spoon about 1-2 teas. into pocket; mash edge slightly to close. Beat egg(s) with a little water in shallow pan.
- Heat unsalted butter in heavy skillet or electric griddle over MEDIUM-HIGH until it stops foaming.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture; coat both side.
- Cook French Toast on each side until golden brown.
- Remove to warm plate and serve with melted jam of choice.
This was great! I put it in my bread machine the night before and put the timer on so in the morning i woke up to this delcious smell of the bread baking! Really chewy(but in good way!) Thanks for sharing the recipe Caroline Cooks!
I made this bread in my machine and I tried using buttermilk instead of the water but it wasn't enough liquid so I ended up using some more water anyways. I didn't add any raisins either. The bread was nice and dense and although it tasted ok with butter, it tasted really good with peanut butter. Thanks!
Caroline, this bread has an amazing flavor! I made this on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer this morning, using about 3 tablespoons melted butter in place of the oil, 1 cup water mixed with the yeast (and 1 teaspoon sugar) and 1/2 cup water mixed with the banana... and I increased the yeast to 1 tablespoon, and of coarse had to adjust a the flour, since I was preparing this bread on my stand mixer... I used rolled oats for this and added in dark raisins. I shaped mine into one long loaf and baked it in my air-convection oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes...it baked out beautifully! what a delicious bread this is, I will be making this again and again! thank you for sharing this great recipe!...Kitten:)