Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't tried this recipe yet. It looks like a little bit of work, but also looks like it would be a beautiful presentation and very tasty! Recipe is courtesy of Kelle Bliek and the Wayne County Historical Society, and found in Thru the Grapevine cookbook from the Junior League of Elmira. Prep time is unknown, but estimated.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coconut
- 2 tablespoons almonds, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter with 1/3 cup flour.
- Roll butter mixture between 2 sheets of wax paper to form a 12x6 inch rectangle.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
- Combine scalded milk, sugar and salt.
- Cool mixture to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and egg; mix well.
- Add 4 cups flour.
- Turn out and knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 14 inch square on a lightly floured surface.
- Place chilled butter mixture on half the dough.
- Fold over other half of dough, sealing edges well with heel of hand.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface into a 20x12 inch rectangle.
- Fold in thirds, so that you have three layers.
- Roll again into a 20x12 inch rectangle.
- Repeat the folding and rolling 2 more times.
- Chill 1/2 hour after last rolling.
- Roll into a 15x14 inch rectangle; lightly make two lines dividing dough into three equal sections.
- On the two outside sections make 7-9 diagonal cuts.
- They must be the same on each side.
- Mix next 5 ingredients together to make the filling.
- Spread filling down the center section; sprinkle with crushed almonds.
- Fold the dough strips over filling to make a braid-like bread.
- Tuck the last strips under the vanocka.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven when golden brown.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and enough milk to desired consistency.
- Spread on warm vanocka.