Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Enjoy the fresh cherries, quick and easy streusel.
- 500 g cherries (no pitting required, approx. 1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 45 g ground almonds
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 60 g butter, cut into small pieces
- For this recipe it is not necessary to pit the cherries as they retain a better shape during cooking if the pits are left in.
- Mix cherries with sugar, cinnamon, brandy and orange juice in a bowl and leave standing at least a couple of hours, or overnight.
- Transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish which holds about four cups of the mixture.
- Streusel Topping: In a bowl, mix the sugar, flour, almond meat, orange rind and butter, with your fingers, so that the butter is in tiny pieces throughout.
- Scatter over the cherries and bake in a moderate oven, 350f degrees, for about 30 minutes or until topping is tinged with brown.