Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this one from Chow - sounds great, putting her for safekeeping! "We like 18 Rabbits’ Funky Figs and Cherry bars, but we knew that we could make them better. We definitely knew we could give them a better name. Enter the Cherry Power Bar. It beats up on wussy energy bars with its tartness and light sweetness, but it’s no bully: It’s got nice chewiness. Plus with all that wheat germ and flax seed, as well as oats and nuts, it’ll power you through your morning or provide a pick-me-up in the afternoon."
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter, plus more for coating the pan
- 473.18 ml rolled oats (not instant)
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds, raw
- 118.29 ml walnut halves, raw, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml wheat germ, raw
- 29.58 ml coconut flakes, dried, unsweetened, untoasted
- 29.58 ml flax seed meal
- 59.14 ml honey
- 44.37 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml fine salt, plus
- 0.59 ml fine salt
- 177.44 ml dried cherries, pitted, finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with butter; set aside.
- Place oats, almonds, walnuts, wheat germ, coconut, and flax seed meal on a rimmed baking sheet, toss with your hands to combine, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring halfway through, until walnuts are light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Place honey, brown sugar, measured butter, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until mixture is smooth and combined and brown sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and immediately add oat-nut mixture and cherries to the saucepan, stirring until combined. Transfer to the prepared baking pan, spreading the mixture evenly with a spoon.
- When the mixture is cool enough to handle but is still warm, dip your hands in water to prevent sticking and press the mixture evenly and firmly into the pan. Bake until aromatic, about 10 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the granola slab from the pan. Cut it in half to form two rectangles, then cut each rectangle width-wise into 5 bars to form 10 bars total. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks; let frozen bars come to room temperature before eating.