Recipe by Dancer^
My granny made this, we love it. It has the consistency of an old fashion date pudding. We eat with or without milk, icing sugar or granulated work as a nice topper.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup water, to make a dough to roll out
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cherries, tart (sour)
- sugar, to sprinkle
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 5 ingredients.
- Roll out dough.
- Spread drained cherries onto dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Roll up and wrap loosely in a clean cloth (plain cotton muslin will do) and pin together.
- Carefully place in boiling water and boil for at least 30 minutes.
- (Dough will be a bit slimy, not flaky, for obvious reasons.)
- Serve in a bowl with milk (can add a sprinkle of nutmeg and sugar if desired).
- Can be eaten hot or cold.