Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The wonderful taste of summer.
- 1 (15 ounce) package pie crusts, 2 folded crusts refrigerated and ready to use
- 1 (16 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted skinned and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Unfold the ready to use pie crust on a lightly floured surface.
- With fluted pastry wheel, cut 12 stripes, 3/4-inch wide.
- Reserve 2 strips for other uses.
- Unfold second pie crust and fit into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom; trim rim.
- Mix pie-filling, lemon zest and cinnamon and spread on the crust.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Evenly arrange 5 strips across the top in a parallel fashion with 1 inch space in between.
- Lay second layer of strips in an angle over the first layer to form lattice look.
- Mix egg and water, brush on lattice, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425°F until crust is browned and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan side.
- Great with heaps of lightly sugared whipped cream.