Recipe by mailbelle
Another recipe from "The Church Supper Cookbook." Credited to Mrs. L. Bouchard, St. Pauls Church, Lancaster, NH.
Top Review by brokenburner
I made this sugar-free, using Splenda and sugar-free pie filling. I also made it non-dairy, using margarine and soy milk. It was very well-received, except for one person who said that there was too much filling -- even though I used a 20-ounce can of pie filling! It's a bit messy, though, because of the filling. Still a great recipe - thanks for posting!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Sift together 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add 1/2 cup butter, milk, egg, and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Turn into baking pan, spreading batter evenly.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle half on top of batter.
- Stir lemon extract into pie filling. Spread over crumbs on batter.
- Sprinkle rest of crumb mixture over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until top is light golden. Cut into squares.