Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
Moist white cake, dressed with a light & fluffy cream, sweetened just enough to compliment tart fresh cherries. With reduced-sugar cake mix & Splenda brown sugar, it's a diabetic friendly dessert that doesn't look like it at the table. Prep time does not include chilling time. Created for RSC #12.
Top Review by Susie D
I loved the name of this recipe & that caught my eye. The dessert was so pretty layered into a trifle bowl! It reminded me of spring and would be perfect for a spring event. Everything was light & fluffy, like a cloud. LOL It also tastes heavenly; a great balance among the ingredients. I did not use reduced sugar items and I used homemade mascarpone cheese. I will be making this again only trying frozen cherries. Pitting three cups full was the pits. =) Thanks for your RSC entry.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) reduced-sugar white cake mix (I used Pillsbury brand in Classic White)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup brewed coffee (I used Starbucks brand brewed at home)
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese (I used Mozzarella Fresco brand)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (12 ounce) container whipped topping (I used Cool Whip brand)
- 3 cups fresh cherries (approximately 36 whole cherries)
- 1 ounce BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8' round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In mixer bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, water & oil. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes. Pour evenly into prepared pans & bake at 350 degrees for 27-32 minutes or til toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine hot coffee & Splenda. Set aside to dissolve.
- Slice 2 cups of cherries in half, removing & discarding pit, then chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat together mascarpone cheese & powdered sugar. Add almond extract & coffee mixture, mixing well. Fold in whipped topping.
- In large glass trifle bowl (or other deep-sided dish), crumble one cake layer into bite-sized pieces & spread over the bottom of the bowl.
- Gently spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped cherries on top of the mascarpone & top with all of the grated chocolate.
- Crumble second cake layer over everything & gently spread the rest of the mascarpone mixture on top. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Slice all but 2 cherries in half, remove & discard pits. Arrange the sliced cherries, cut side down, in a circular pattern around the outside edge of the mascarpone. Put the two whole cherries in center of bowl. Serve & enjoy!