1 hr 20 mins
Jo Ann L's Note:
A childhood favorite that my mother used to make. If you don't want to use the sauce on the cake-although it's sure good-it would be nice on ice cream as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream shortening; add sugar gradually and cream until fluffy.
- 2Blend in eggs.
- 3Combine dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- 4Stir in cherries (and nuts, if using).
- 5Pour into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- 6Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes.
- 7Serve warm with: HOT CHERRY SAUCE: Mix together in a saucepan 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp cornstarch and a dash of salt.
- 8Blend in the juice from the can of cherries and 1 cup water.
- 9Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 10Boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the starchy taste disappears, probably about 10 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and blend in 1/4 tsp almond extract.
- 12Note: Sauce thickens unacceptably as it cools, so it really needs to be served hot.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Cake and Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 216.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sour pitted cherries