Prep 1 min
Cook 15 mins
This is the cake that most of my family want for their birthday cake. This is a favorite cake of Newfounlanders.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 16 ounces cherries, dried, glazed (baking cherries)
- 1 teaspoon almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla, almond and lemon flavoring and continue to beat.
- Add dry ingredients and warm milk a little at a time till well mixed. Add the glazed cherries.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until done.
What a delicious recipe! I could not find the dried glazed cherries at my local Kroger, so substituted two cups of maraschino cherries (without the liquid). It turned the batter a lovely pink. I frosted it with Martha Stewart's Grand Marnier Italian Buttercream Frosting and it was the best cake I have ever made. Highly recommend!
This is more like muffins than cake. Makes a very thick batter and a really heavy cake. I assume that the "almonds" ingredient is meant to be almond extract, but even with all three extracts, it's pretty bland.
Delicious and easy to make!! I used some frozen sour pie cherries that I had in the freezer and I frosted it with a buttercream icing. It is now a household favorite!