Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I believe I got this recipe from my best friend's Mom. When I eat them, I picture myself sitting in a 1950's kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries, undrained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350F, Combine powdered sugar and flour; cut in butter as if making a pie crust; pat crumbs into lightly greased 9x13" baking dish; bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and cool about 15 minutes.
- To prepare topping: Beat eggs& sugar, combining thoroughly; sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; Add to egg mixture; Drain cherries, reserving juice; coarsely chop cherries and add to the batter with 2T juice; add vanilla and nuts.
- Spread over crust, place in oven and bake 25-30 minutes longer; Cool completely before cutting into bars.