Recipe by worldmom12
This recipe is from Julie Hasson's "Vegan Diner." They are one of my favorite muffins EVER - vegan, or otherwise. Trust me when I tell you you don't need eggs or dairy milk to create great muffins. Even if you're not vegan, save yourself the fat, calories and cholesterol and give these a try! :o)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I always use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal, preferably golden
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (to spoon over tops of muffins, though I omit this)
- 1 cup soymilk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (please, I beg of you, don't use imitation!)
- 2⁄3 cup dried cherries (I chop these up a bit so they're not so big)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper liners or grease well with vegetable shortening or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, poppy seeds, flax meal, baking powder, and salt, mixing well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup sugar, half of the soymilk, canola oil, applesauce, and almond extract, whisking until smooth. Add the flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with the remaining soymilk, whisking until just combined. Stir in the dried cherries.
- Scoop the batter evenly amongst the 12 cups of the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle remaining tablespoon over sugar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are just barely golden around the edges and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, and remove to a rack to cool completely.