Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Very rich bars - do not remain on a plate long. My son begs me to make these all the time but I usually save them for a special treat at Christmas.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml cocoa
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml coconut
- 414.03 ml graham cracker crumbs
- 118.29 ml chopped almonds
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 29.58 ml cherry juice
- 14.79 ml almond extract
- 473.18 ml icing sugar, sifted
- 78.07 ml chopped maraschino cherry
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate baking square
- 14.79 ml butter
- Bottom Layer: Cook butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and beaten egg in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in coconut, graham crumbs and almonds. Pat firmly into 9 x 13 pan. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Filling: Cream butter, cherry juice and almond extract. Gradually beat in icing sugar to make a smooth spreading consistency. Stir in cherries. Spread over the first layer in the pan. Chill until firm.
- Top Layer: Heat chocolate and butter, stirring constantly until smoothly melted. Drizzle chocolate over filling. Chill.
Laursy,Sorry ,at this time I cannot offer any stars,as am undecided.
my base was pressed in non-stick pan,and chilled allright.The filling was added ,and top layer added.When I went to cut these ,from the fridge the base was all crunbly.
I did use Becel a non-hydrogenated marg,as Doctor prescribes (Canada).I use this all the time as a sub for butter.Have you had any experience as this"..Thanks Don Steele
I first found a recipe like this about 15 years ago in Canadian Living Magazine...and I lost it. Two years ago I found this version and it has become a family favourite. Last year I attempted to drizzle the chocolate on top and found when it hardened it made cutting the squares difficult. This year I combined chocolate chips and whipping cream, melted together and then spread over the cherry layer with a spatula for a complete layer of chocolate. Much easier to cut and reminds me of other naniamo recipes. Thanks for posting it will be forever part of my Christmas baking.
These are excellent! I made them to add to my Christmas tray. I used short unsweetened coconut and it was perfect. I used 1/2 box (3 squares chocolate, melted in the microwave). Wonderful taste and a recipe I will keep close at hand. Thank-you!