These delicious morsels are from the Company's Coming Cookbook called Baking Simple To Sensational and they are sensational! It looks like a lot of butter, but it does not make the cookie salty or too crumbly. The recipe says to put the almonds on top, but I chopped them and put them into the cookie. I'm making these for Christmas and freezing them. I figured the almonds on top would come off once they're put in the freezer. Prep time does not include chill time. The book says it makes 72--I got about 60.I used glace cherries in mine.Almond extract would be nice in these also.
- Beat first 4 ingredients in large bowl until light and creamy.
- Combine flour and baking powder in medium bowl.
- Add to butter mixture in 2 batches, alternating with cherries, stirring well after each addition.
- Divide mixture into 3 equal portions.
- Shape each into 1 1/2 inch diameter roll.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 3 hours until firm.
- Cut each roll into 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Arrange about 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Gently press 2 or 3 slivered almonds into each cookie.
- Bake in 350F oven for about 10 minutes until just golden.
- Let stand on cookie sheets for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- Cool cookie sheets between batches if using more than once.
- Makes about 6 dozen.