Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Native American recipe to add to you Thanksgiving table. Would be yummy with honey butter!
Make and share this Cherokee Yam Cakes (biscuits) recipe from Food.com.
- Sift flour, baking soda, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Pour oil and milk into a measuring cup (do not stir).
- Add to yams and blend well.
- Add to flour mixture and mix lightly with fork (until mixture holds together) Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth (about 12 kneading strokes).
- Roll dough about 1/4" thick and cut into rounds with floured biscuit cutter (or rim of drinking glass) Place rounds on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425º for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve hot, or split when cold and toast.
i will try this recipe soon it sounds delicous
Delicious, and very easy. My two year old daughter loved these, and they weren't very messy. Definitely one I will keep and reuse!
Strangely, I didn't like these as well when hot, fluffy and fresh as I do at room temperature the next day. The texture is nicer, and the yam flavor comes out better. I used canned yams, and I was looking for more sweetness and yam flavor, so if I try these again, I will either use baked, mashed yams or add more sugar. I think I also might experiment with a little less oil. The dough seemed quite greasy, though the final product is fine.