Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good old chelsea bun from my childhood.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 2 ounces currants
- 2 ounces glace cherries
- 2 ounces mixed peel
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- Sift flour and salt into a basin, rub in butter lightly. Mix to a firm dough with milk. Roll dough into oblong shape, 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Filling: Cream butter and brown sugar together. Spread over dough; sprinkle with fruit and cinamon.
- Roll up lengthwise; cut roll into 14 thick slices.
- Pack into a greased 8 inch sandwich tin, cut side down.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Brush bun with glaze while still hot.
- Glaze: Place ingredients into a small bowl, stir over hot water until sugar and gelatin dissolve.