Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
You can grill or sauté the chicken, either one turns this into a slightly different, yet still fantastic chicken. Goes great with red beans and rice (see recipe 48913 or buy a prepacked box) or as filling for a Tex Mex-type burrito or enchilada. Also could be 'kabobed' and grilled using the vinegar sauce as a mop. Very versatile! And feel free to play with the tart and sweet balance to your liking by adding more or less vinegar and sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika (for color and taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 -2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- If you sauté this:.
- Prep chicken by rough chopping into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Place chicken in a bowl and add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Over medium-high, heat olive oil and sauté chicken until it begins to brown.
- Add Worcestershire and vinegar.
- Continue to sauté on medium heat until all liquid is evaporated and chicken is brown (approx 10 minutes).
- Serve over red beans and rice dressed with a bit of fresh grated cheddar with corn or flour tortillas on the side.
- If you grill this:.
- Leave the chicken thighs or breasts whole or in larger, manageable pieces.
- Prepare all of the dry ingredients as a rub and coat all chicken pieces (you may need to double the amounts of dry ingredients to ensure enough Rub).
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Combine the Worcestershire and vinegar and have ready as a mop (you may need to increase the amounts to ensure you have plenty of mop, just make sure to add them in equal parts).
- Preheat grill and oil grates to make sure chicken doesn't stick.
- Grill chicken until brown (15 minutes), brushing the chicken with the mop sauce as it cooks.
- Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute through the meat.
- Rough-chop the chicken and toss with any of the remaining mop sauce.
- Serve again with red beans and rice or makes an excellent salad topper.