1/1 Photo of Chef Joey's Vegan Cornmeal-Thyme Cookies
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
The original recipe comes from Martha Stewart, but it wasn't Vegan. I really enjoyed these savory cookies, they are really delicious with a cup of ice tea in the summer and warm tea in the colder months. The cookies are very soft when they come out of the oven, so it is best to transfer the whole piece of parchment from the cookie sheet onto a cooling rack to prevent them from breaking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups white spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free)
- 1 cup cornmeal (use organic if you don't want GMO in your food)
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 8 ounces vegan margarine (2 sticks softened)
- 1 1/4 cups raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute (Ener-G)
- 4 tablespoons filtered water (add to egg substitute)
- 3/4 cup dried currant
- 1 1/4 tablespoons thyme (finely chopped and fresh)
- 1Preheat oven to 350'F.
- 2Put the oven racks in upper and lower thirds.
- 3Line two baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper; set aside.
- 4Whisk together flour, baking soda, cornmeal, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 5Put margarine and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle and cream on medium speed until pale and fluffy for about 3 minutes.
- 6Mix in the egg replacer. Add the flour mixture into this on low speed until just combined.do not over mix. Hand mix in the currants and thyme.
- 7Using a tablespoon or a 1 1/2 inch ice-cream scoop drop rounded balls of dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- 8Bake rotating and switching positions of sheets about 1/2 way through the cooking process.
- 9The cookies should be a pale golden shade. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 10Bon Apetit!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Vegan Cornmeal-Thyme Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 415.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 53.8 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: