1/2 Photos of Chef Joey's Anasazi Bean Chili (Pressure Cooker)
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
Some years ago, my hubby bought me a Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker. I've used it quite a bit over the years. I love the way it makes bean dishes and the soaking is virtually eliminated by pressure cooking them. This morning I made some corn bread and was thinking, you can't eat corn bread without chili, so this is what I came up with. You will need a pressure cooker for this recipe. IMPORTANT NOTE: You can make just about any recipe in any cooker, but it is best to follow the rules of your specific pressure cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the beans
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (I used Vegetarian Fantastic brand)
- 1 (12 ounce) package chicken sausage (I used Han's All Natural sun-dried tomato and basil)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (I used chunky style)
- 1First pressure cook the beans by adding the water, salt and cleaned beans to the pot of the pressure cooker and bring to a boil. Then place the pressure cooker lid on the pot and pressure cook for 6 minutes on the second red ring.
- 2If you use different beans then Anasazi, be sure to check for the time they need to cook. Not all beans are created equal.
- 3Use the cold water release method to cool down the pressure cooker. This is done by pouring a stream of cold water from the tap on the side of the lid of the pressure cooker. Most cookers will have instructions as to how to cool your cooker down.
- 4Remove the beans to a colander and drain the water from the beans. At this stage the beans will still be a bit tough.
- 5In a medium saute pan, add the olive oil and saute the onion until transparent. Add the garlic being careful not to brown it.
- 6Cut up the chicken sausage in medium size pieces. The kind I bought were fully cooked so I didn't saute them.
- 7Put the garlic, onion, chicken sausage and beans into the pressure cooker.
- 8Add 4 cups chicken broth. Stir and close the lid securely and pressure cook for 12 minutes on the second red ring.
- 9When done use the cold water release method and open the pressure cooker once the steam is all gone.
- 10Taste the beans, make sure they are soft.
- 11Add 1 box of Fantastic Vegetarian Chili mix and the large can of diced tomatoes.
- 12Simmer on low uncovered for 20 minutes and serve over your favorite grain and with a piece of home made corn bread.
- 13Bon Appetit.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Anasazi Bean Chili (Pressure Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.7
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 1876.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix