Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was looking through a community cookbook looking for a tuna & noodles recipe I thought my generally non-casserole-eating daughter would like. I came across this one and knew I hit on it. When I looked at the name of the submitter, I saw it was my own sister! DD loves this tuna and noodles, and my sister got a big thank you from us both.
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 ounces egg noodles, cooked &,drained
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely crumbled cracker
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Heat cheese, soup, and milk over low heat; stir till sauce is smooth.
- Add noodles, tuna, and pepper, mixing well.
- Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Toss crackers with melted butter and use this to top the casserole.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
My family loves this recipe. Even my picky husband likes it. It is easy and quick! I add peas to mine and either leave off the crackers of use crushed chips (bottom of bag).
A really good comfort-food casserole. I used no-yolk egg noodles, reduced fat Velveeta, 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, skim milk, and Smart Balance Light in place of the butter. The only crackers I had in the pantry were fat free saltines, but I think this would be good with cheese-flavored crackers. I was afraid this was going to be too soupy when I first mixed it together, but after baking it thickened up nicely. I also added a 8.5 ounce can of drained peas as we love peas in our tuna casseroles. I didn't want to turn on the main oven as it is hot out, so I used my toaster oven and an 8x8 square casserole dish. Turned out great!