Recipe by Sharon123
A lovely soup with a nice mix of beans and vegetables topped with Monterey Jack cheese. This is a stick to your ribs soup!
Top Review by Barb G.
This is a VERY TASTY soup.I made it like it said, But cooked it in my crockpot after doing the first step.(I always do beans the way it says in the first step as it really gets rid of the gas.I learned it some time ago from a chef that had a resturante and a cooking show in San Franisco). All of the veggies and spices really adds a lot of flavor to the beans.I used my canned tomatoes from the garden. I will be making this often as my DH loves soup. This will taste great this winter. Thank you Sharon for another yummy recipe.
- 59.14 ml dried black beans
- 59.14 ml dried black-eyed peas
- 59.14 ml dried lentils
- 59.14 ml dried great northern beans
- 59.14 ml dried red beans
- 59.14 ml dried pinto bean
- 1419.54 ml water
- 2 bay leaves
- 177.44 ml onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml celery, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 946.0 ml crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- hot sauce
- 354.88 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash the beans. Cover with water to a depth of 2" over beans, bring to a boil, cook 3 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Return to the pot and add water, bay leaf, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and cloves. I sometimes saute the onion, garlic and celery before adding. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Add parsley, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
- Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes. Top each serving with cheese. Enjoy!