Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A lovely soup with a nice mix of beans and vegetables topped with Monterey Jack cheese. This is a stick to your ribs soup!
- 59.14 ml dried black beans
- 59.14 ml dried black-eyed peas
- 59.14 ml dried lentils
- 59.14 ml dried great northern beans
- 59.14 ml dried red beans
- 59.14 ml dried pinto bean
- 1419.54 ml water
- 2 bay leaves
- 177.44 ml onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml celery, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml carrot, chopped
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 946.0 ml crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- hot sauce
- 354.88 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- Sort and wash the beans. Cover with water to a depth of 2" over beans, bring to a boil, cook 3 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Return to the pot and add water, bay leaf, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and cloves. I sometimes saute the onion, garlic and celery before adding. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Add parsley, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
- Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes. Top each serving with cheese. Enjoy!
This is a VERY TASTY soup.I made it like it said, But cooked it in my crockpot after doing the first step.(I always do beans the way it says in the first step as it really gets rid of the gas.I learned it some time ago from a chef that had a resturante and a cooking show in San Franisco). All of the veggies and spices really adds a lot of flavor to the beans.I used my canned tomatoes from the garden. I will be making this often as my DH loves soup. This will taste great this winter. Thank you Sharon for another yummy recipe.
This is a very tasty soup. I used 1 1/2 cup of French Market Soup Mix for the various beans and diced tomatoes instead of crushed. I also didn't add the second lot of garlic.
I was up early to check to see if school would be cancelled as it is snowing here. I cooked this up this morning and boy did it smell good. I followed the recipe exactly as written except I didn't add the hot sauce as I don't like things too spicy. Everyone enjoyed it. No one even noticed that it didn't have meat in it.