Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Proof that you don't need to add meat to spaghetti squash to make a great dish! This is easy to make and very flavorful; feel free to adjust seasonings to your taste. The crushed red pepper is optional, but if you have it on hand I think it adds to the flavor. Try to use REAL parmesan, not the stuff that comes in the green can! I'm unsure of the origin of this recipe, but it's a keeper!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- To cook the spaghetti squash: Cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place squash cut sides up in microwave dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10-12 minutes or til done. Let sit covered for 5 minutes. With fork, "comb" out the strands into a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the cheeses together and set aside. Heat olive oil in skillet and add onion, green pepper, red bell pepper and garlic. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and crushed red pepper (if using). Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, mix the cooked squash well with the cooked vegetables and place half of it in a 9x13 baking dish. Top with half the cheese mixture, followed by the other half of the squash mixture, then the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Let cook 10-15 minutes before serving.