Spaghetti Squash Casserole (South Beach Diet P1)
photo by schmme
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Pierce the squash in several places, put on a plate and microwave until tender (mine took about 20 minutes).
- Allow cool while you cook the meat and veggie mixture.
- Brown meat with garlic, onion, salt and pepper, and bell pepper.
- Drain and add Italian spice and tomatoes.
- If it seems really liquidy, cook some of the liquid off.
- Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds and discard them.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti into strands and mix gently with sauce mix.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake 10-15 minutes more.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love using spaghetti squash as a healthy and point friendly alternative to pasta and was instantly drawn to this one. I did an Italian styled version for 2 people and used a mix of lean ground turkey and Italian sausage seasoned veggie crumbles. Topped with a mix of reduced fat feta and mozzarella, it was a perfect comfort meal that was healthy to boot.
This is the very first food review I've written. The quality of this recipe prompted me to write about it. My wife and I are huge fans of the South Beach Diet and since I'm the main cook for my family, I'm always scanning the internet looking for SB Diet recipes I can use. Ok, that being said, this was such a great and easy recipe. The only change I made was I choose ground turkey with Italian seasoning. That was only because the butcher was re-stocking the regular ground turkey and since the recipe called for Italian seasonings any way, I didn't think there would be any harm I still added the teaspoon of the Italian seasonings as well. Turned out great and we loved it! We served it over spaghetti squash and it was excellent. Thanks so much for a great meal.