Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine. I made it twice so far and it was a hit at two parties. I'm sure you could use the same method with any shape of loaf, or only slice the loaf crosswise and stuff the slots.
- 1 round sourdough loaf
- 118.29 ml butter (1 stick)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 7.39 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml celery salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g monterey jack cheese or 453.59 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Make approximately 1 inch slices across the loaf, not quite all the way through the bottom.
- Turn the loaf and slice 1 inch slices across the other way, so that you have cut 1 inch squares. At this point, it should look kind of like a "blooming onion".
- Melt the butter and stir in the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt and cayenne pepper.
- Pour the mixture all over the loaf, especially in between the cuts.
- Stuff the cheese between the cuts in the bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Open the foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.