Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy and SOOOOO good, even better the second day! This makes a huge amount which makes it the perfect meal for a larger family. I use kielbasa sausage for this but any dry smoked sausage will do fine. Serve this with crusty buns on the side, this make a delicious hearty meal for cooler days.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb dry smoked sausage (chopped or sliced)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons green chilies, chopped (or to taste) (optional)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, with juice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- salt and pepper
- sugar (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, brown the ground beef with smoked sausage, onion, garlic, bell pepper, chili flakes and jalapeno peppers (if using) until the meat is well browned (about 10-12 minutes) drain fat.
- Add in the undiluted soup, diced tomatoes with juice, green chilies (if using) pinto beans with juice and pork and beans with juice; stir to combine then season with salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally (you might want to add in some sugar if desired).
- At the end of cooking stir in the cheddar cheese until combined.
This was really good. Being that I am in the 'crockpot mode' right now, that is how I prepared it. I have a large crockpot and there was no way it would all fit, so I decreased each of the beans by one can. Thanks for a great recipe.
Thank you hon for another wonderful recipe! I made this in the crockpot and DD and I had to "taste" often while it was cooking. Browned the ground chuck before adding to the crock pot and sliced the smoked sausage. Omitted the jalapeno, added the green chilies, and omitted the sugar. So good with the cheese topping too! I have a 6 quart crock pot and it was full so this would be perfect for a large family or get together.
This is just the greatest!!It made a lot but it won't go to waste.I will be making this often for family get togethers.Everyone thought it was sooo good.Thanks Kittencal--your recipes are the greatest!! I made the recipe exactly as shown.