1/2 Photos of Cheesy Penne Pasta and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Chef #680599's Note:
Smoked sausage is my new go to meat for a tight budget, so I have been searching for something to use it in besides Jambalaya. I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and loved it! I just had to share it! For a healthier casserole, I use whole wheat pasta, turkey smoked sausage, 98% fat free soup and low fat cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar French-fried onions, separated (I couldn't find cheddar, so I used regular and it was great)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, brown sausage in a skillet and drain. (I skipped this step since I was using fully cooked turkey smoked sausage and wouldn't have any fat to render).
- 3In a large bowl, combine milk and soup.
- 4Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup of each cheese, and sausage.
- 5Drain pasta and stir into sausage mixture.
- 6Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- 7Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- 8Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese.
- 9Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Penne Pasta and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.0
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 74.2 mg
- Sodium 990.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: