Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
For those of you looking for a twist on your Mexican dishes and one that's healthier, give this a try. Buckwheat is a good source of vitamin b, zinc, and iron.
- 4 cups cooked cream of buckwheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chopped onions
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese
- 8 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb shredded chicken, cooked and seasoned
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- Prepare cream of buckwheat using either milk, water, or broth.
- Sauté onion, green pepper, garlic, butter and ground beef (or chicken) in pan along with a taco seasoning.
- Combine buckwheat, sour cream, cottage cheese, refried beans, hot sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- In at least a 3 quart casserole dish, layer buckwheat mixture, meat and vegetable mixture, shredded cheese, and green chillies then repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered at 375° for approximately 60 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving dish.